Your diving regulator is your major lifeline whilst you’re underwater—with out it, you may’t breathe or management your buoyancy compensator system. For sure, you’ll need a high-quality regulator that gained’t fail if you want it most.
Right here’s what it’s best to know earlier than procuring on your scuba regulator.
The Major Parts of a Regulator
There are 5 primary components to any scuba diving regulator:
- First Stage: The valve that connects to the scuba tank. This regulates the air stress popping out of the tank, altering it from extremely pressurized to a decrease, intermediate air stress. The air is routed to a number of hoses from this valve to attach it to the opposite elements.
- Major Second Stage: The mouthpiece the place you obtain air. It contributes a second stage of air stress discount, bringing that intermediate stress right down to a breathable, ambient stress.
- Alternate Second Stage: The alternate second stage does the very same factor as your major stage—it’s merely a backup mouthpiece you should utilize in case your major second stage is compromised.
- Submersible Stress Gauge (SPG): The submersible stress gauge displays the fuel ranges in your tank, so you may have a crystal-clear image of how a lot air you may have left.
- Low-Stress BCD Inflator: This hose connects to your buoyancy compensator system (BCD), permitting you to vary your underwater buoyancy as wanted to swim extra comfortably.
Distinction Between a Excessive-High quality and Common Regulator
There are a number of variables that assist you to decide whether or not your diving regulator is high-quality or simply common (trace: It’s not all about value):
- Unbalanced v balanced first phases: An unbalanced first stage reacts to rising water stress, making respiration tougher. Balanced first phases provide constant breathability irrespective of how deep you go. Naturally, you’ll need a balanced stage to breathe simply at any depth.
- Sort of cylinder connection: The 2 frequent cylinder connections are yoke and DIN. DIN fittings are by far the safer possibility. Yoke fittings work simply wonderful, however don’t carry out properly in colder waters and have a tendency to extrude some air stress.
- High quality of alternate second stage: Prior to now, some divers thought it was okay for the alternate second stage to be of decrease high quality because it wasn’t probably for use. Nevertheless, circumstances that trigger a major second stage to malfunction are near-certain to trigger a lower-quality various to fail. As such, your alternate second stage must be the identical high quality.
When Ought to You Use a Excessive-High quality Regulator?
Whereas a high-quality regulator isn’t important for each diver, it’s all the time higher to be secure than sorry. Nonetheless, a high-quality regulator ought to completely be used for:
- Chilly-water dives (beneath 60 levels Fahrenheit)
- Deep-water dives (beneath 200 toes)
Choose Your Lifeline Properly
It’s time to seek out the suitable diving regulator on your subsequent scuba journey. We’ve offered info that may assist you to slim down your choices to a regulator that may get the job finished effectively and maintain you secure.